Wednesday, October 21, 2015

OHS Chorus Hard at Work

By: Cody Cheeseman OHS Torch Reporter

From pieces such as Baba Yetu and Northern Lights to the basic fundamentals of music, Youth and Harmony, all the way to Madrigals, the OHS chorus class is hard at work.

In the choral department, students are learning a large array of music. Some pieces include Northern Lightt and Baba Yetu.

Doug Stribling, OHS Senior said, “I really enjoy these two pieces. They push my learning experience.”

Northern Lights is sung in Latin, while Baba Yetu is sung in Swahili. Both pieces are a challenge to learn.

Zac Banks OHS Senior said, “I joined chorus to train my voice.” The first major performance these students will put on will be at Youth and Harmony on Thursday, October 22nd. Youth and Harmony is a day long learning experience where students from schools around the McLean County get to come and build their skills with famous composers.

With time running down, the buzz is already in the air about Madrigals. The students, along with volunteers, set the gym up to mimic a castle as they take you back to a time where music was a major form of entertainment.

“My role in Madrigals is the jester, I get to do whatever I want and it really caters to who I am and I get to express myself in an appropriate way,” said OHS Senior Zac Banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment