Monday, February 29, 2016

Lady Spartans Set High Goals for the Season Ahead

By Ashleigh Forrest

The Lady Spartans and Coach Matt Koeppel will kick off their season on Monday, February 29, hoping to bring home a regional win for the first time in Olympia history.

“I think we are going to be better than we were last year and go farther in regionals. We have a lot of new athletic talent added to the team this year that will add to our offense and defense,” said Bekah Bauersfeld, senior and returning captain.

“My number one goal is to have fun and to keep a good attitude whether we win or lose. I always expect to have a better record than last season, of course, and this year we have a very good chance to do so,” said Coach Koeppel

The girls had their first practice as a team on February 29 and their first game is on March 15 against Peoria Manual. Koeppel has very high hopes for the girls this season.

The rumors are true. Business teacher, Mr. Josh Klokkenga will be a volunteer assistant coach for the team this season. He will mostly be sticking to coaching the JV team, but he will still help a little bit with the varsity team as well. Mr. Ivan Hernandez will also be helping out with coaching.

Assistant Coach Klokkenga said, “I expect regional title this year. Koeppel and I have discussed this thoroughly and we both agree that it is a very reasonable goal. It would also be really cool to bring home the first title.”

The new freshmen seem to be very excited about joining the team this year, according to Koeppel. Freshman Jessie Beachy said, “I can’t wait to get the whole high school soccer experience but I’m also a little nervous because the last time I actually played soccer was in third grade.”


Sophomore Jaci Terrel said, “I want to make new friends and branch out to people I don't usually talk to. I only have a few friends that are playing with me this year so I think it will be really fun.”

No comments:

Post a Comment